Friday, December 24, 2004

Guilt-Free Christmas Feast


Just in time for the holidays. It seems that the low-carb craze has peaked. As one of the early proponents who gave it a good solid year, I can simultaneously say that it works and it doesn't work.

What I mean is that, yes, a protein-heavy, carb-less, sugar-less diet quickly sheds the pounds, evens out the blood sugar, and helps increase overall energy once you've adjusted to the diet.

I never got my cholesterol checked for fear of what I've done to my arteries, but that's beside the point. Sometimes you've got to shake things up, shock the system, and go cold-turkey on the Doritos.

But the real problem with staying on the diet is the monotony and inconvenience. Unless you've got fangs and howl at the moon, meat, cheese, and the occasional salad (without croutons) can get tiresome.

So, take some pleasure in the fact that you're not the only one falling off the low-carb bandwagon. Now, if I could only get rid of this uncontrollable urge to chase caribou. . .